On the post recent Mondays With Myrt, we talked about File Naming, for our Digital Files and how we file them on our computer.
This project of Getting Organized and this new file I am working on, have come together.
I am working on my 5 Generation file, staying focused on the Descendants of my Great Grandfather. He specifically, so that I can create a book for my new cousin.
I would normally have the Find-A-Grave website pretty high on my list of websites to work on. In this case it is NOT. Mostly because I do a lot of detailed work on the information from that website, especially if there are links to other family member which takes time. I am using the Index Hints from Ancestry.com as a breadcrumb to go to the Find-A-Grave website late. (no ToDo lists for them, because I’ll work off of the Citation List from the Ancestry index.
Since I have done a lot of work taking photos and uploading them to the website. I have about 1,600 photos in my collection. Then it dawned on my, I have those photos already organized. But I needed to check it out, and I do.
My filing system for Cemetery Photo’s isn’t difficult but here is goes. It is made up of 4 major components:
Notice, NO Cemetery Name. That is because I FILE these files by Cemetery.
For me, it’s all about sorting. I use an Underscore to make the filename more readable, for me at least.
Here Is a screen capture of my spreadsheet on how I track these photos to show it it pays off for me.
This starts a column “S” to get to the filename. There are columns for the State, the County, the City, the Cemetery to the left. My spreadsheet is also about Sorting and Filtering.
I use these photos for a number of reasons as well. These are my photos but I want to use them for another Blog that I have, for uploading to the Find A Grave website, and for my own use.
That is where this organization (for me) paid off. This 5 generation tree is “my folks” many of whom lived within a couple hour drive so I have taken my own photos.
You will notice some cells in Yellow. That is how I KNOW that I have added them to file.
When I brought these photos into my database I navigated to that Cemetery Folder and selected and brought a COPY of that image into my database. It only took a couple of minutes to get those images into my database. The spreadsheet had the data I wanted in my database but I worked off of the Image that is now in my file. Yes, all properly cited.
At the end of the name part of the filename, I will add things like –1, or –plot, or –sign, because when I take the photos, I book end the pictures in the cemetery with a sign or two OF the Cemetery. They are also in this spreadsheet AND my database.
ST_County_City-Surname_FirstName_MiddleName-[number] if required.
Do make this work a little easier, I put the photos in Folders.
If you can read that image, you will see that I have pictures from 4 different cemeteries in Baltimore County. It has worked for me, to stay at the County Level, and not create a City level or piece of the filename.
This system has worked for me, but it took a little thought, and to figure out how best to sort the information. It also helps keeping names consistent.
I do a lot of copy / paste of the Filename. I use a Type Once, Paste a lot mindset.
Here is a link to the Mondays with Myrt Hangout I mentioned earlier.
Mondays with Myrt – 07 Mar 2016