Repurposing today’s technology for tomorrow’s genealogy
17 July 2013 – Chicago, IL. Genealogy educator and author Thomas MacEntee announces the debut of Hack Genealogy, a new resource for the genealogy industry and the growing community of genealogy and family history enthusiasts.
Hack Genealogy is about “repurposing today’s technology for tomorrow’s genealogy” and a little bit more. Hack Genealogy is more than just a list of resources: It provides information on emerging technology inside and outside the genealogy industry.
Hack Genealogy is not merely about surviving the overwhelming presence of new and emerging technologies . . . Hack Genealogy is about genealogy and technology success in its many facets.
What Will You Find at Hack Genealogy?
Here are the features to be offered at Hack Genealogy over the coming months:
· Cool GenStuff: Each day we’ll provide a curated list of the latest information about genealogy that deserve your attention.
· Discussions and Issues: We’ll discuss issues important to the genealogy community including education, self-publishing, sharing research and more.
· Education and E-Guides: Through the use of webinars, e-guides, Google+ hangouts and other innovative educational technologies, Hack Genealogy seeks to educate genealogists on the latest technologies.
· GenBiz Buzz: Learn how others have succeeded with their genealogy and family history-related business and the tools they used to succeed.
· Interviews: We’ll ask a variety of players in the genealogy landscape this question: How Do You Hack Genealogy? to learn more about how technology is being repurposed to expand the family history experience.
· Product Reviews: Reviews of the latest products and services including software, mobile apps and more.
· Resources: A listing of the best tools for every aspect of genealogy from research to sharing photos to writing and publishing your family history.
How Hack Genealogy Got Started
Hack Genealogy takes its inspiration from the Technology and Genealogy group on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/groups/techgen/) started by Susan Petersen in late 2012. As an administrator of the group, Thomas MacEntee – creator of GeneaBloggers and High-Definition Genealogy – realized that the questions asked by group members and the great content shared was reaching only the Facebook audience. Hack Genealogy is a way to get more genealogists and family historians to discuss the use of technology in a non-threatening, easy-to-understand environment.
We hope you’ll travel along with us on this journey of discovery in the genealogy and technology fields.
About Hack Genealogy
Hack Genealogy (http://hackgenealogy.com) is a technology resource for the genealogy community with a focus on “repurposing today’s technology for tomorrow’s genealogy.” Thomas MacEntee is the driving force between Hack Genealogy whose goal is to provide information on emerging technology inside and outside the genealogy industry.
About Thomas MacEntee
Thomas MacEntee is a genealogy professional specializing in the use of technology and social media to improve genealogy research and as a way to connect with others in the family history community. When he’s not busy writing blog posts, organizing the 3,000+ members of GeneaBloggers, teaching online genealogy webinars and more, Thomas MacEntee is busy in his role as “genealogy ninja.” Stealth is not easy, but he manages to get the inside track on emerging technologies and vendors as they relate to the genealogy industry. After being laid off from a 25-year career in the tech industry in 2008, Thomas has been able to “repurpose” his skill set for the genealogy community and loves to see other genealogists succeed, whether it is with their own research or building their own careers in the field.
Contact: Thomas MacEntee
1416 W. Carmen Ave., #3
Chicago, IL 60640
+1 (773) 661-3080
Founder, High-Definition Genealogy
+1 (773) 661-3080